Group Curriculum & events
Loneliness is an urgent public health crisis and college-age adults are one of the loneliness populations in the U.S.
College-age young adults may be among the most lonely populations in the U.S. according to recent studies. In the most recent American College Health Association survey of nearly 50,000 college students, 66% said they felt very lonely at some point over the past twelve months. Not only do students have to cope with academic pressures and the challenges of being on their own for the first time, but there’s also a huge stigma around loneliness during what “should be” the “time of their lives.”
This is more than a social life problem. Feelings of isolation and loneliness can have serious ramifications for academic performance. And loneliness can have even more detrimental effects, such as the increased risk of depression, anxiety, and suicide.
The survey also points out that over the past twelve months:
- 71% of respondents felt very sad
- 66% felt overwhelming anxiety
- 13% seriously considered suicide
How can we help you help your students feel less lonely?
Our Campus UnLonely programs utilize creative arts expression, mindfulness, and social-emotional learning to engage students and foster feelings of connection. Relying on evidence-based interventions, our innovative approach ensures that programs can be efficiently distributed both digitally and in-person and offers campus administrators evaluation tools and data management support to assess participant engagement and program outcomes.
Working closely with our partners, we design, deploy, and evaluate a targeted approach to meet the specific needs of their students. Our programs are further positioned to ensure a progression of experiences from awareness-raising to sampling of arts programming to deeper participant engagement that can lead to activated practitioners, who support sustained enrollment and engagement. Programs include
- UnLonely Impact Events. Raise awareness around the health impacts of loneliness on your campus and offer innovative ways to engage in supportive activities
- UnLonely Film Festival Screening Event. Showcase specific aspects of loneliness through the use of short films followed by reflection and creative activities
- Front Row for the UnLonely Film Festival. A co-branded and tailored digital platform that brings the UnLonely Film Festival to your students to strategically support their mental wellness
- Creativity Challenges. Refreshable content to help stimulate creative experiences on campus to reduce stress and anxiety and foster connection and sharing
- Creativity Circles. Digital or in-person support-group model that helps participants reduce loneliness, isolation, and stress while building a sense of connection and resilience
Interested in bringing Campus UnLonely to your college or university? Please contact us at [email protected] to learn more.